Month Prior to Move
- Change your address with the post office.
- Change your address with the IRS.
- Hire a moving company or rent a moving vehicle.
- Transfer or get copies of medical records (and school records if you have children).
- Get referrals from your current doctor for new doctors in the neighborhood youll be moving to.
- Update your insurance policies (home, auto, and so on).
- Check with your insurance company to see if your belongings are covered during the move.
- Cancel your plans with cable, telephone, newspaper, lawn, and home security companies.
- Change your address with magazine and newspaper subscriptions and creditors.
Weeks Prior to Move
- Cancel utility service for the day after your move date.
- Purchase packing supplies (boxes, tape, markers, and so on).
- Make travel arrangements on moving day and any special arrangements for small children and/or pets.
- Start packing, boxing items systematically and labeling them accordingly.
- If you can, type out a list of what general items are in each box so you have a master list.
1 Week Prior to Move
- Confirm reservation with moving company or rental truck company.
- Gather and set aside important documents (dont pack thesecarry them with you during the move).
- Transfer prescriptions to your local pharmacy.
- Close/transfer bank accounts (if switching banks) and order checks with your new address.
- Send out change of address cards to friends, relatives, neighbors, organizations, and so on.
- Return items that dont belong to you (movies, books, and so on).
- Clean! (appliances, carpet, walls, and so on).
Day Before Move
- Take out cash to give as tips to the movers (if you hired).
- Buy bottles of water for you and anyone helping you.
- Pack the last of your items and leave out one small suitcase for your pajamas and toiletries.
After the Move
- Change your address with DMV update drivers license and plates (if moving out of state). Allow about two weeks for arrival.
- Change your address with your employer.